November 12, 2016

And the Award for Schmuckiest Schmuck Goes to ... Ethan Coen!

I've never been a big fan of the Coen brothers. I've enjoyed some of their films (although I enjoyed "Hail, Caesar!" far less than I expected to ... meh, despite a few bright spots), but none of their films is among my favorites. I don't think I've ever watched a film of theirs a second time; I don't like them enough. Wait, I'm wrong. I did watch "The Big Lebowski" again a year or two ago. I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about (at least in certain quarters). I concluded that all the fuss is largely undeserved, but, hey, it's a free country. Ha ha. Ha.

But I'm sure there are some big Coen brothers fans among my readers. So I strongly advise you not to read this remarkably heavy-handed, not very clever op-ed. This one, right here. Don't read it if you enjoy the Coens' films a lot. This one. I'd avoid it.

I have too many objections to this piece of drivel to catalogue them all. So I'll merely point out that it's fairly amazing to see so many standard, bromidic, dishonest, unthinking liberal talking points crammed into such a short article. Impressive, Ethan! Another big problem -- also a problem in all of their films that I've seen -- is the air of smug self-congratulation. Not only are they the most moral and bravest people in the room -- they're also the cleverest!

Oscar Wilde famously said, when asked by a customs official if he had anything to declare, "I have nothing to declare except my genius." If you make such statements, you had better be a goddamned genius. Wilde could get away with it, and easily; the remark is delightful, clever, and true. The Coen brothers, and Ethan in particular in this piece, makes love to himself for qualities he has yet to attain. At this rate, those qualities will forever elude him. (I regret to note that it appears likely that Wilde never made this comment. Pity.)

Given the impenetrably thick air of moral self-love that suffocates any and all attempts at cleverness in this piece, Coen's first two points are perhaps the most objectionable. He mocks all those who voted for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson for their feelings of "moral superiority" and "warm self-approval," feelings which he knows -- he just knows, don't ask him how -- are far more important to them than what he considers to be the disastrous political consequences of their choice. It is apparently impossible in Coen's world for anyone to hold political views in a principled and serious manner when those views differ from his. Coen's sneering condescension toward those who dare to disagree with him is utterly sickening.

As for his defense of Hillary Clinton ... well. To admire one's own moral rectitude and courage when one supports a murderer and war criminal, a person who has worked tirelessly to advance the entire program of the ruling class, including the neverending destruction of those abroad and at home who are disfavored and of no value to the monsters who rule us -- what can one say? Also impressive, Ethan!

Oh, yeah, and Clinton is also a vicious racist. I mentioned that in my post yesterday, and Tarzie has a post today that effectively amplifies the point.

Cuddle up with your Schmuck Award, Ethan. You can put it where your soul and mind ought to be. (Line adapted from "All About Eve," for those who might wonder.)